There are three main purposes that it can perform in the interior:
- TV placement. Over time, it is becoming less and less relevant - many models are now mounted directly on the wall and do not need any additional support.
- Placement of accessories. If the room has few horizontal storage surfaces, a shelf under the TV can increase their number. In addition, it can accommodate accessories related to the TV itself - a DVD player, for example, or a collection of discs.
- Addition of decor. The design can be multi-tiered, with walls, with a variety of decorations, lighting and complement the overall style of the room.
Often appointments can be combined. In some cases, the regiment can serve all three at once.
Comfortable TV shelf
Trying to imagine a shelf that would be ideally suited specifically for your TV, you must first determine how it will look in terms of design. There are several varieties - each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Suspended. In such structures, the mount is on top - usually they are hung to the wall on strong chains. They look spectacular, especially if you choose a beautiful mount and emphasize it, but they require careful calculations, because the chain may break.
- On brackets. The bracket is a support part that looks like a triangle. One leg is adjacent to the wall, the other to the bottom surface of the shelf. There are brackets of the most intricate forms. They are considered a more reliable method of attachment than suspensions.
- Corner. Such structures are mounted in the corners with hidden brackets and have a triangular shape. Allow to place the TV without a loss of space, moreover, quite reliably.
- Cast. These are made of glass or metal, giving them an intricate shape - ladders, cubes, smooth lines, similar to the waves of the sea. Cost more than others.
- Frame. They look like a locker without doors, which is embedded TV. Forms around it something like a niche, allows you to stylistically distinguish it in the interior.
Further it is necessary to understand what material the regiment will be made of.
After all, structural features define little, except for an aesthetic impression. But the material of which the shelf is made, affects the basic performance characteristics.
Bracket - supporting partreturn to menu ↑
Shelves made of chipboard and MDF
Chipboard and MDF are considered to be synthetic materials, although they are made of wood.
On chipboard go sawdust and chips, which are pressed under high pressure with the use of synthetic resins.
The shelf of chipboard will have the following advantages:
- Low price. Chipboard sheet costs so little that you can not count.
- Sustainability. Chipboard is insensitive to moisture, does not suffer from temperature changes.
- The disadvantages, however, make the pluses almost useless.
- Lack of resistance to mechanical damage. A chipboard can easily crack from any blow - or a piece can be broken off from it.
- The impossibility of complex processing. A chipboard shelf will always have a rectangular shape, because when you try to cut it, it will simply crack. Approximately the same thing will happen if you carelessly drill a hole for the bracket.
Chipboard does not look too aesthetically pleasing, and if it was manufactured without adhering to technological requirements, it will produce vaporization that is poisonous to humans.BoardShelf of chipboard should be installed only as a temporary solution. Or if the entire design of the house is made using the cheapest possible materials.
MDF is slightly higher class. Waste wood products, chips and small garbage go to it, which are mixed with the resin, heated, stirred until a homogeneous mass, and pressed into sheets under high pressure.
In modern style
The shelf of MDF will have the following advantages:
- Ease of processing. MDF, unlike DSP, easily takes any form.
- Security. Unlike chipboard, MDF does not emit harmful fumes.
- Sustainability. With proper processing (due to which the construction will cost a little more), the shelf from MDF will be insensitive to moisture, biological stimuli, fire. It can be washed with aggressive chemicals.
- Long service life. MDF is more reliable than chipboard, it lasts longer, does not swell, does not bend, does not crack with time.
Not bulky option
Only two minuses:
- Price. Of course, it doesn’t compare with the price of natural wood, but it seems rather high compared to chipboard.
- Softness. It is thanks to the softness of MDF that it is easy to handle - but because of it, the regiment will be sensitive to mechanical damage. Chips with cracks on it will not appear, however, - only dents, abrasions.
Option for a spacious roomreturn to menu ↑
If you do not look closely, a shelf of MDF or chipboard can pass over a wooden shelf. But their performance characteristics are somewhat different.
The tree has the following advantages:
- Beauty. Of course, other materials can copy the appearance of the tree in general terms - but it will still differ from them. The special texture, the presence of unique veins on the surface, knots, hollows, a faint odor add to it special chic.
- Ease of processing. The tree can not only give the desired shape, but also cover it with intricate carvings, which will make the end result more interesting.
- Reliability. A wooden shelf can last for many years, especially if it is handled with care.
Properly treated - and therefore somewhat more expensive - the tree is also insensitive to moisture and biological stimuli, cannot leave splinters.
But even he has disadvantages:
- Flammability The tree is burning, no matter how it is processed.
- Lack of resistance to high humidity and temperature extremes. The treated wood can resist them, but the rest will swell up quickly or, on the contrary, it will crack under improper conditions.
- Price. Natural wood - especially dense, reliable varieties - is expensive.
Wooden shelf can last for many years.Natural wood is a good solution for emphasized natural interiors - eco or country. It is irreplaceable in expensive, noble styles - baroque, art deco. But in the same American style, minimalism, loft is better to do without it. Return to the menu
Metal is a very original solution for any interior, especially if left unpainted and brilliant. He does not fit all styles, gives the room a somewhat cold, strict look. It has several advantages:
- Resilience. The tree cracks or swells over time, chipboard with MDF cracks or breaks, the glass becomes cloudy or can break, but nothing frightens a metal shelf - it does not burn, does not wear out, does not change color under sunlight, is not afraid of biological hazards like mold or parasites . Many metals do not even rust - and those that rust can always be painted.
- Ease of care. Metal does not attract dust. It is enough just to wipe it with a damp cloth to make it shine again, like on the first day after the purchase.
- Reliability. A thin sheet of metal can withstand much more weight than a wooden board or a sheet of chipboard of the same thickness, plus it is practically insensitive to mechanical damage. Maximum - it will turn out to leave a dent on it, which can be easily straightened afterwards.
He also has disadvantages:
- High price. Reliable stainless metal is comparable to natural wood.
- Specific appearance. Metal shelf will look strict, will make the room somewhat less comfortable and much colder. It will not work in many styles — for example, in most classical styles — and combine with many materials. For example, with a tree.
Metal and glass
The metal construction will ideally fit into the high-tech style, which consists entirely of combinations of glass and metal. It will look good in minimalism, in futurism, take root in the loft. But trying to insert it into the country style, American style, eco and others, referring to intimacy with nature, country life, natural materials, is not worth it.BoardChoosing metal as a material, make sure that it is of high quality. The low price, the lack of a certificate, the seller who does not have positive feedback - all this may indicate that the design will fail very quickly. Will rust, bend or simply fall.
Metal does not attract dustreturn to menu ↑
Glass is no less original material than metal. Fit it into the interior as difficult. It has advantages:
- Aesthetics. This beauty is not like the beauty of a tree - more airy, lighter. Glass will not make the room more comfortable, but it will make it colder and lighter. In addition, it can be decorated with additional painting or laser engraving.
- Resilience. Glass is not afraid of almost nothing - does not change color in the sun, does not swell from moisture, does not crack from temperature changes, does not suffer from biological threats. Does not absorb odors, is not afraid of aggressive chemistry.
- Reliability. A thin sheet of glass can withstand great weight - if it is properly tempered glass. It can serve for decades, does not change shape.
- Diversity. There is a very different glass, which differs in performance, in appearance.
Glass - the original material
There are also disadvantages:
- Price. It is comparable with the price of metal and natural wood.
- Lack of resistance to mechanical damage. Even the most durable glass breaks when hit hard - the only question is how the fragments scatter. From cheap glass, they pour rain small crumbs. From the expensive fly off in large pieces with blunt edges, which can not be cut.
- Slippery surface. On the glass is better not to put anything that can slip. And under what cannot, it is worth putting a napkin so that there are no scratches left.
- The complexity of care. Wipe the glass with a cloth is simple. But if it becomes dirty, wash it so that there are no stains left - a non-trivial task, which requires special skill, a special soft cloth, special chemicals.
A thin sheet of glass can withstand heavy weight.
Unlike chipboard, metal, wood, glass is very different in price and quality.
- Leafy. Immortal classics - thin, transparent, broken into many small fragments. Suitable only for a small light TV.
- Tempered. The same sheet, but processed by a large temperature. More durable, broken into large pieces with blunt edges. Suitable for an average TV.
- Triplex. Glass, glued in several layers - in the middle there is a special layer that holds the layers together. Triplex is not broken, only cracks. It is used for the manufacture of bulletproof glass. Suitable for a large TV.
- Float. The molten glass is poured onto the molten metal, and then cooled - as a result, it turns out as smooth as possible. Currently used for shelves most often.
- Armored. If you have a very big and heavy old TV, this is the glass that fits best. In its thickness there is a metal grid, which provides it with greater strength than all other types. When struck, it does not break, most often it does not even crack. Its texture is usually in a small square.
- Acrylic. Not quite glass - thin transparent plastic that imitates glass. It is easily scratched, burned, but much stronger than ordinary glass. It can be drilled, you can grind, you can paint, cut. Suitable for a small TV - or for a purely decorative shelf, on which there is no support.
Compact version with metal and glass elements
Triplex costs the most, acrylic and flat glass - the least.BoardGlass goes well with metal and wood. It would be best to look hi-tech, but it might look good also in more classical styles.
It will be interesting to you:
Glass shelves in the room on the wall: 150+ Photos of use in the living room, in the kitchen, in the bathroom. Which option to choose?
Hallway with shelves for shoes and clothes The hands: 125+ Photo options (with a seat, with a hanger, with a stool and not only)
How to make Shelves in the interior of the room with your own hands? (230+ Photos) A selection of beautiful and modern ideas
How to hang a TV on the wall? 150+ Photo Interior Designsreturn to menu ↑
How to decorate the shelves?
Having imagined what kind of shelf the structure should have and what material it should be made of, it remains only to decide how it will be decorated.
In classic style
- Brackets. This is the most common solution, with which you can decorate all the shelves, except the glass - you can not drill the necessary holes in them. Arms can be strictly geometric, with floral patterns, with geometric patterns, as well as the most original forms - if the search can be found in the form of trees, birds, animals, human figures. Intricate brackets look especially good in classic interiors like English.
- Thread. Suitable for decorating wooden shelves. Apply most often on the butt, where it will be visible. Usually these are simple geometric patterns or floral motifs. Great solution for eco.
- Painting. You can paint any surface, even metal - good, suitable paint can be found in any art store. Usually painted side slices.
- Engraving. Used for glass or metal - leaves a brilliant bright trace. You can make a pattern with it, you can put an interesting quote on the side slice.
In white color
The idea of placing additional accessories around the main shelf and placing accessories on them is also a success - they will be better seen than patterns or threads.
It can be:
- Flowers. Fresh flowers in pots - ideal for the American style, for a cozy country, frivolous Provence. Small vases with bouquets that change every few days - an addition to American retro. Choose flowers to taste, but they should not be too bulky.
- Photo. Fits well in almost any style, except those that do not tolerate accessories in principle. Best of all, if it will be professional photos, which are nice to see, which have not only nostalgic, but also artistic value.
- Figurines. Far from all interiors are appropriate, but they can look beautiful, especially if you arrange figures from one collection.
- Discs. Bright boxes of discs for a DVD player are also a peculiar accessory that fits the classic styles of the twenties.
A small shelf of wood
In addition to the most common options, around the TV can be placed, in fact, anything - books, collectible figurines of heroes from comics, a tree of beads, folded in the origami technique, a complex structure.BoardYou can decorate not the shelf itself, not additional shelves, and the wall behind them, near the TV. There you can hang a section of photo wallpaper, a poster with a movie star or a rock band, draw a graffiti there. Of course, such liberty does not fit all styles, but in a loft, for example, it will fit perfectly.
Also a big role in the design of the shelf is lighting. It is able to highlight the entire corner with a TV.
Most often used for this:
- Spot light. Small round lamps are installed on the ceiling, at some distance from the TV. When turned on, when the rest of the world is turned off, they highlight the "cinema area", they allow you to save your eyes from unnecessary stress. If desired, you can adjust the intensity of their light. Or hold a separate switch for each small lamp.
- LED Strip Light. It is usually pulled along the very edge of the shelf — or shelves. She will emphasize them in the dark, will add to them mysterious blinking. Can change color, light intensity. It doesn’t look too good with wood, which is natural or artificial, which is best for glass - if you install it covertly, with the edge pressed to the wall, the shelf will glow from the inside like an enchanted jewel.
LED strip can serve as a night light if used in a bedroom or nursery.
Combination designs for books and TVreturn to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
When the image of the shelf has already taken shape, it remains only to find an ideal place for it in the house.First of all, it should be taken into account in which room the shelf will be located.
If this is a kitchen, then you need to take into account a number of factors:
- Constant temperature drops. The kitchen is prepared almost every day. The stove heats up, the air heats up with it, and then cools back in a few hours. Therefore, the shelf must be insensitive to overshoot.
- Constant changes in humidity. The kettle heats up - steam is released. Water is heated for the soup - steam is released. The air in the kitchen is saturated with moisture, then more or less dry. Consequently, the regiment should not suffer from such a regime.
- Difficult operating conditions. In the kitchen, something constantly pours, eggs are broken, salads are mixed, something is fried in oil, something is baked in a hot oven. In such conditions, it is very easy to dirty a shelf with anything — almost as easily as absent-mindedness - to touch it with your hand. Therefore, it should be easy to wash and be insensitive to mechanical damage.
Wall in the living room interiorConsequently, it is necessary to put metal in the kitchen - he is not afraid at all - or glass - and wash it every day. Chipboard with MDF will become unusable in just a couple of years, and natural wood will crack or swell, unless you constantly process it with special solutions.
If it is a living room, the shelf requirements are lower. It is necessary to take into account only the aesthetic question. The whole family gathers in the living room, guests come to it. If the kitchen is not so important, then in the living room shelf should be an ideal part of the interior. All materials are suitable for such conditions, except for chipboard, which looks too budget.
There are no requirements in the bedroom at all - this is a personal space, in it you can even put a chipboard if it suits you completely.
In the interior of the bedroom
But in the case of children's requirements for the shelf no less stringent than in the kitchen - but they are of a different kind.
The following factors should be taken into account:
- Security. In the case of the nursery, first of all. The shelf should not have sharp corners; it is better to fix it on reliable brackets far from the children's bed. It’s impossible to place the child above the height level (it’s harmful for the eyes to watch TV from the bottom up), so you need to take care that she doesn’t hurt him.
- Aesthetics. To harmonize the beauty of the shelf you need first of all with the small occupant of the room. He may like a chipboard with a coating of bright color, which an adult will find tasteless. And, perhaps, he wants to see on the surface of cartoon animals or fish.
It is clear that the metal shelf is suitable only if it has rounded smooth lines, and glass, most likely, will not work at all, if you do not take expensive, reinforced.
In loft styleBoardAround the TV in the nursery it is worthwhile to place additional shelves - the child will definitely find something to put on them. From the collection of designers to your favorite plush toys.
In all rooms, televisions perform different tasks, and therefore the shelves have slightly different requirements:
- Kitchen. Here, the TV most often acts as a background, under which the cook tinkers with the products, only occasionally glancing at the screen. In such circumstances, the TV should be small, and the shelf - so as to occupy as little useful space as possible. It would be ideal to make it angular, perhaps higher than eye level, so that something else could be placed under it. Special aesthetic delights are not needed.
In the interior of the kitchen
- Living room. Here the TV often becomes the center of the interior - it stands on a shelf on the wall, in front of it stands a sofa. The whole family gathers here to watch an interesting show, guests sit in front of him watching the film. Therefore, he himself should be large, and the shelf should be wide, thick, preferably on brackets. Here, aesthetic delights are welcome, especially if the style of the setting accepts them.
- Bedroom. TV is rarely installed here, because people rarely spend more time in the bedroom than they need to sleep directly. Therefore, if it is decided to put it nevertheless, there is no general advice. The main thing - that he was not beaten out.
- Children's. A separate TV for a child, so that he could watch cartoons, should not be too expensive or heavy - in the course of the game it can be dropped, touched by an elbow, shaken. An average TV on a low shelf is the best solution. Aesthetic delights - to taste the baby.
In the interior of the children's room
When the decision is made, it remains only to place the TV on the wall without violating the rules of operation.return to menu ↑
In order not to spoil the vision, you need to follow simple rules when placing a TV:
- Range. From a person sitting on the couch (or lying in bed) to the TV should be at least two meters, otherwise the eyes will strain, which is harmful.
- Height. It is believed that the optimal height - at the level of the eyes of a person who looks at the screen. So the simplest way to determine how to hang a TV is to sit on the sofa (or lie on the bed), close your eyes, and then open them, looking at the wall. The point where the gaze stops is the place where the top third of the screen should fall. Therefore, in a children's TV, you need to hang it low - it is harmful for a child to lift its head.
- Shadow. TV can not be placed opposite the window. During daylight, the screen will glare, eyes will strain, and this is harmful. The only exception is if the window has very thick curtains that block almost all the light.
Non-standard TV installation solution
The exception is the TV in the kitchen, which is not so much watching, but listening. But if your kitchen serves as a living room, and while you eat you like to watch the news, it’s better to put it down below, at eye level.
And in order not to say goodbye to expensive equipment too early, the rules are different.
You can not hang the TV in the following places:
- Over the heating devices. This includes batteries, real fireplace, stove. Heat badly affects the insides of the TV, can spoil the shelf if it is not made of metal.
- In small niches. Placing a TV in a niche is a good solution, but only if from its edges to the edges of the niche there is at least twenty centimeters on each side. Otherwise, ventilation will be disrupted, the heat generated by the TV itself will stagnate and adversely affect it.
- On fragile walls. This is especially true of large plasma TVs, which can weigh up to thirty kilograms - they can be placed only on a solid brick or concrete wall.
As for the rest, it is possible to place the TV and the shelf under it to your own taste - in the corner, in the center of the composition, in a large niche, in the end wall ...return to menu ↑