Basic material requirements
The preparatory stage is perhaps more important than the rest - you need to choose a material that will look beautiful, emphasize the dignity of the room, hide the flaws, and also comply with the basic requirements:
- Water resistance. The kitchen is constantly flowing water, something is washed, poured, cleaned. The walls should be easily able to withstand high humidity, not suffer from splashing water, even boiling water.
- Resistance to temperature changes. In summer, when borscht or jam is cooked in the kitchen, the temperature in the room rises significantly, hot air is kept above the stove - the material should easily withstand it, cool down without cracking.
- Easy to care. Slices of food, splashes of grease, soot get onto the walls in the kitchen — they should be easy to clean, chemicals should not cause damage, and even after the 50th cleaning, the material should retain its original brightness.
- Hygiene. Mold, fungus, pathogens should not be able to multiply on the walls, even if they are constantly deposited soot, fat. Otherwise, food cooked in the kitchen will be harmful.
The combination of practicality with aesthetics
So, it is impossible to apply a clean wood in the kitchen - only treated with special compounds, coated with varnish, resistant to moisture, temperature changes. And using synthetic materials you need to make sure that they do not emit toxic compounds.return to menu ↑
Types of finishes
Each material has advantages and disadvantages that you need to know before making a choice.return to menu ↑
The tile is widely used for the decoration of kitchens - in the old model repairs it is difficult to find an apartment where other material would be used. This is due to specific advantages:
- Resistant to moisture. On the same basis tile is chosen for finishing bathrooms. It is absolutely insensitive to moisture, if it was laid according to the standard, so that the seams remain tight.
- Resistance to temperature extremes. The tile does not crack from large heat, does not burn. Does not crumble and frost. Because of this feature, it is often used in exterior decoration.
Clean wood in the kitchen can not be used
- Ease of care. The tile is most often covered with enamel - you can wipe off fresh dirt with a wet cloth. And if the dirt had time to dry out, even aggressive chemical agents will not affect the appearance of the tile.
- Diversity. Tile - a beautiful material that is produced in different shapes, different colors, with different patterns. It opens room for fantasy, with its help you can lay out intricate patterns, making the kitchen unique.
- Durability. If used properly, tiles can last for decades, even if they lie on the floor. And on the walls, where even special resistance to abrasion is not needed, it completely wears off very slowly.
Use the tile in the finish, it is easy to cleanThere are no minuses, except for one - elegant enamel can be scratched.
Interestingly, in recent years, new types of tiles have entered the market, which can be brilliantly used in kitchen design:
- the volume ceramic tile has convex and concave sides, from it you can create not a simple two-dimensional pattern, but a three-dimensional pattern;
- liquid tile is made to change color when pressed - it looks beautiful on the floor, but it will look fresh on the wall, especially for children.
Green tiles in the finish
When buying, you need to take into accountl:
- tile variety - in the first marriage will be less than five percent, but in the second already about twenty;
- general condition - there should be no cracks, depressions, yellow spots either on the outside or on the inside of the tile;
- resistance to detergents - marking "AA" means that you can use any kind of compound, but with class A tiles it is better to handle with care.
Tile - a beautiful material that is produced in different forms
The thickness of the wall tiles does not exceed four millimeters. It is specially marked with a palm symbol - this means that it was made specifically for the walls.BoardThe tile can be matte, glossy or mirror. You need to understand what you want to see the kitchen and choose, based on this. Return to the menu
Mosaic is made from different materials, its advantages are similar to the advantages of tile. It is also insensitive to moisture and temperatures, can also serve for decades, comes in different colors, shapes, and is easy to care for. Beating a plus - aesthetics.
With the help of a tile it will not be possible to achieve such a level as with a mosaic. You can lay out drawings, complex panels, patterns with high detail.
Mosaic in the interior of the kitchen
But the mosaic costs much more than ordinary tiles.
You can lay out drawings, complex panels, patterns with high detailBoardIn order for the mosaic to unfold in its full potential, it’s better not to lay it on your own, but to hire a master. Will be more expensive, but the result at home does not repeat. Return to the menu ↑
Kitchen paint is used with reservations - yet it has less resistance than tile, especially natural stone.
There are several advantages:
- Ease of application. The tile can be put crooked, a mosaic will require a master, but any paint can be applied by a person who has never held a brush in his hands, especially if he has a little practice at first.
- Diversity. Paint is matte, glossy, different colors, different shades. Moreover, it is the most classic material for creating drawings - it can not only apply a simple geometric pattern that anyone can do, but even copy the classic picture if there is enough patience.
The paint is easy to apply.
- Easy to repair. If the paint peels off or cracks, it will be enough just to add another layer on top - and the original look will be restored.
- Moisture resistance. Paint is often used to cover the walls in pools, bathroom - and all because it is insensitive to moisture.
- Easy to care. Painted walls are wiped with a cloth, either wet or dry. The use of aggressive chemicals, however, is not recommended.
- Resistance to biological hazards. Does not rot, can not catch the fungus.
Painted walls are wiped with a cloth, either wet or dry.
But there are also disadvantages:
- The need for good preparation. Walls for painting should be perfectly smooth, otherwise all cracks, hollows, other defects will be perfectly visible.
- Possible instability. Not all stains are easily removed stains, because before painting the wall in the working area, you should carefully read the characteristics.
Paint, of course, more than one species. For painting in the kitchen can be used:
- water-based paint - non-toxic, dries quickly, has no odor;
- acrylic - durable, odorless, suitable for drawing, since multicolored colors are common to it;
- alkyd paints - are cheap, they hold well, but they smell sharp when they dry out.
Using restrained tones
Interestingly, in recent years, new types of paint have appeared that have not yet become widely used:
- slate and marker paints allow you to draw on the dried surface with chalk or special markers;
- antibacterial paints contain silver ions, kill bacteria, which is important for the kitchen;
- Magnetic paints are composed of tiny particles of iron, so that, after drying, magnets can be attached to walls anywhere.
The idea that the wallpaper is not suitable for the kitchen has long been refuted, because in addition to the paper, other varieties that are more resistant to environmental influences have appeared. Each of them - with its pluses.
Wallpaper with inscriptions in the interior of the room
- Vinyl wallpapers. The bottom layer is paper, the upper one is synthetic. Durable, reliable, do not fade from the sun, do not suffer from wet cleaning, can decorate the kitchen for decades. At the same time, they are absolutely airtight, which is why a fungus can get on them, without daily airing the kitchen. The first few days will have a specific smell, but over time the smell will disappear.
- Silk screen printing In fact - a kind of vinyl, but interspersed with silk threads. The pros, the cons are the same, but the appearance stands out: with these wallpapers it will seem that the walls are covered with a thin patterned fabric. The wall below them should be perfectly flat.
- Glass fiber. They are made of glass threads, durable, durable, leak moisture, they can be painted. But dear ones, and besides, they are badly dismantled - in order to change the material, if he gets bored, you have to tinker.
- Liquid wallpaper. They do not need to be glued, it is enough to dilute the mixture and apply on the wall, like plaster. Reliable, provide additional sound insulation and heat insulation, wash, mask small defects of the walls.
But expensive and after application require the use of special varnishes, otherwise wear out.
Bright, sunny color in the interior
- Non-woven wallpaper. Advantages are standard - durability, strength, resistance to temperature, humidity. The only unique thing is the ability to choose a texture to taste and apply any paint on it, and a good wallpaper can survive the coloring up to ten times. Minus one - dust accumulates in the complex texture of the wallpaper, because they need to be cleaned regularly.
- Paper wallpaper with impregnation. Cheap material that will become worthless in two or three years. It absorbs odors, burns out in the sun, it is difficult to wipe the stains from it. But if you need to make repairs in conditions of total savings - this is the solution.
Wallpapers blend well with tile
To place such they need either in the area of the plate or above the battery, so that there is room for change. But in general - the kitchen is a place where the temperature changes constantly and live wallpapers can reach their full potential.BoardWallpapers also blend well with tiles, but you can cover them and work area.
It will be interesting to you:
MDF panels for the kitchen - 250+ (Photo) Finishing options
Decorative Stone in the Kitchen - 130 Design Options for Beautiful Designs
Mosaic on the Apron for the kitchen (175+ Photos): Modern, convenient, practical. Glass, mother of pearl or metal?
Modern wallpaper for the kitchen (240 + Photo): Ideas 2017
Tile for the apron in the kitchen (180+ Design Photos): tips that will make your walls come alivereturn to menu ↑
Decorative plaster is easy to apply, hides the roughness of the base, does not absorb odors, is resistant to moisture, provides a certain level of sound insulation. It is, however, expensive, but to all the advantages of aesthetic looks.
Decorative plaster is easy to apply, hides the roughness of the foundation
It happens different:
- Scooter. When applied to the surface remains grooves-grooves, which then give the wall three-dimensionality and go well with staining.
- Latex. Gives the effect of natural stone, painted at the stage of mixing.
- "Wet silk". Gives as a result the effect of fabric - iridescent, flowing luster, which can be of any color, if you add color scheme.
- "Sea breeze". Has a light pearl reflux, translucent.
Does not absorb odors, is resistant to moisture, provides some level of noise insulationIn order to give the plaster additional resistance to the environment, you can coat it after drying with special coatings - wax or glazing.
They will not only make the material stronger, but also give it extra shine.
In modern styleBoardThe plaster dries quickly, so you need to come up with a pattern before applying it. Return to the menu
The stone remains the most durable, reliable, durable material in any field. However, it is either natural or artificial, and these are two big differences.
A natural stone:
- it is absolutely steady against moisture - it can be washed with a wet rag;
- absolutely resistant to temperature changes - it can be placed above the stove;
- absolutely resistant to biological threats - no fungus, no parasites, no mold;
- it is durable - it can stay for decades if it is well fastened;
- Beautiful - one of the most aesthetic, noble materials, in which you can not find two completely identical tiles.
The stone remains the most durable, reliable, durable material
But at the same time it is expensive, and also difficult - in order to cover a wall with a stone, you need to buy the thinnest tiles, fix it with strong glue, start necessarily from the bottom. Calculate whether the wall can withstand such a load.
In this regard, the artificial stone is much more convenient. It is also resistant to moisture, durable, does not crack, does not rot, but at the same time is cheap, light, can be styled as any natural stone without an increase in price.The only real flaw of the stone is the limited range of shades. It is suitable only for those who really love the natural beauty, veins, shades of gray, white, beige, brown. Brightness with saturation is not enough for him, although no one will interfere with painting individual tiles with paints.BoardFully stone kitchen is beautiful, but not cozy - such designer refinement is justified only if you want to make a kind of knight’s castle in your house. Where it is more reasonable to combine a stone with other materials, more warm and bright.
To sheathe a kitchen with a tree is quite possible, if done correctly, without neglecting technology. Usually wooden lining is used - thin panels with special grooves that are made up with each other to cover the walls. The thickness of one panel reaches three centimeters, width up to fifteen.
- Ease. The lining is easy to transport to the house, easy to lift to the desired floor, easy to fix. If the panel falls in the process - there will be no harm from it.
- Easy installation. Working with clapboard is similar to working with a puzzle - one panel is attached to the wall, the next one is inserted into the side of a special groove, and so on. As a result, even an inexperienced person can cope with the process, and there are no seams on the wall.
- Strength. Wood is resistant to mechanical stress, does not crack, does not rot, if it is properly processed - and lining is mostly processed in this way.
- Beauty. Wood, along with stone, is a natural, noble material. It will make the kitchen more comfortable, warmer, will give it incomparable chic.
The tree looks beautiful in any room
Of the minuses can be identified flammability - in case of fire, the panel will light up immediately - and the instability to aggressive chemical detergents. In the work area, it is better to choose another material, and to clean the wall paneling from time to time with a cloth.
When buying, it is important to consider the class of lining:
- extra is devoid of any flaws at all - all the knots, roughness, blue are allowed only from the back side, and there should be no cracks at all;
- class A - the knots are not more than one per meter and not larger than a centimeter, the cracks are not exclusively through, processed by the manufacturer, but any other defects only from the back side;
- class B - there may be cracks, but in small quantities, knots in unlimited quantities, but not more than a third of one panel in diameter;
- class C - the rest of the paneling with knots, cracks, roughness, stains.
Use plain wooden wall paneling
The operational properties of the class do not differ (except for C, which is unreliable and serves little), for the most part it is worth choosing the specific one based on your preferences.BoardBefore buying, compare the extra-class lining with class A. Perhaps the first one will seem too homogeneous, and therefore boring. Return to menu
Plastic panels look far less beautiful than wood, but they are cheaper and they have a list of advantages:
- Easy installation and lightness. Plastic is lighter than wood; it is also fixed according to the mosaic principle - the spike fits into the groove, the structure is fixed, you do not need much experience with dexterity to carry out the fixing process neatly.
- Ease of care. Plastic can be washed using the most aggressive means from which the tree will quickly lose its aesthetic appearance.
- Moisture resistance. Plastic does not need to be covered with special compounds so that it is impervious to moisture.
- Resistance to temperature changes. Of course, open fire plastic panels could not stand, but will retain their properties at temperatures up to one hundred and twenty degrees.
- Diversity.Plastic, unlike stone with a tree, can be given any color, it will be bright, saturated. You can even buy panels with patterns.
Plastic panels are one of the cheapest options.
The panels are cheap, but not deprived of the disadvantages:
- Flammability If plastic is exposed to open flame, it will flare up slowly, but eventually fills the entire kitchen with suffocating black smoke.
- Low strength. Plastic is not resistant to mechanical stress - it is worth hitting it slightly, a crack is formed. It wears out quickly, it will not serve for decades. Also changes color with long exposure to sunlight.
- Reduced space. The panels take four centimeters from each wall - as a result, the kitchen becomes not only visually smaller, but seriously loses in volume.
When buying plastic, it is important to ask the seller whether there are certificates of quality. If plastic is made in violation of technology, it will emit toxic compounds into the air that are harmful to human.
Resist temperature extremesBoardIf you do not want to lose useful space, you can buy thin PVC panels that are no thicker than three millimeters and simply stick to the walls. Return to the menu
Modern glass is not the usual-fragile material, which is inserted into the window frames. It is difficult to break it, and even if it succeeds, it will crumble not with sharp cutting debris, but with harmless large chunks with blunt edges. There are several advantages to this material.:
- Sustainability. To moisture, to conveying temperatures, to aggressive chemistry, to falling pieces of food, boiling water, fat, to the development of mold or fungus.
- Durability. Glass will last for decades, while it does not fade in the sun, does not lose its bright color.
- Diversity. Sometimes colored glass, mirror, frosted, transparent, translucent. Moreover, it can be custom-made to color as you like, by getting a photo or drawing that will make the kitchen unique.
Glass will serve for decadesMinus - the price. Glass is expensive. In addition, it is still not very resistant to strong mechanical stress. If you hit it, it will either crack or crumble.
There are different glass:
- the usual - fragile, brittle, suitable for the kitchen a little, because it beats into sharp fragments, which can be severely cut;
- Stalinite - strong, beats on small granules with not sharp edges;
- textured - relief, with a three-dimensional pattern, which is aesthetically pleasing, but at the same time it needs additional cleaning, since dirt accumulates in the texture;
- decorate - a polymer that looks like glass, but is lighter, cheaper, stronger, and also tolerates temperature drops;
- triplex - glass consists of several thin layers, on the internal image, which is protected from the external environment.
Glass in the decoration of the apron
There are also mirror and colored glass - they allow you to vary the interior.BoardMaking the entire kitchen glass expensive, and often unnecessary. It is better to combine glass with paint, wallpaper or ceramic tiles. Return to menu ↑
Metal lining on the chipboard, tile with a metal surface, a mosaic of metal - all this is exotic, which is rarely used, but which looks quite appropriate in the kitchen, especially in the high-tech style.
The use of metal in the finish
The advantages are as follows:
- resistance - properly treated metal and certain alloys are not afraid of water, fat or temperature, they do not burn, do not rot, cannot become a haven for parasites or mold;
- durability - metal that does not rust, can remain on the wall for an infinitely long time, especially if you take good care of it;
- ease of care - no odors are absorbed into the metal, no dirt adheres to it, just wipe it lightly with a cloth to make it shine like on the day it was installed.
At the same time, the metal is expensive and it can be difficult to find it - yet this is not the most popular material.BoardIf you want not just metal inserts, but metal inserts with fiction, order engraving - the letters or design will look good above the work table.
Summing up: combinations
Having understood the materials, it remains only to combine them correctly - taking into account the fact that any kitchen is usually divided into two zones, working and dining. The material for the working area should be as resistant as possible, the material for the dining room easier.
- One stuff. Feasible, in some situations, even justified. Paint of different colors, complete rejection of zoning, tiles throughout the kitchen - there are lots of options. Well suited for a small kitchen, where there is simply no place to highlight areas.
- Two materials. The working area is covered with one material, the rest of the kitchen - with another. Often, tiles, glass, and stone are resistant materials over the worker, and everything else is stuck with wallpaper or painted. The result is a durable repair, in which the zones are clearly divided.
- Three materials. A rare combination, usually one material covers the work area, another wall, and the third is used for a bright accent - for example, for metal panels above the slab, for mosaic above the work table. The main thing is to have a good idea of how everything will look in the end.
In fact, it is good to present the result - the most important condition for the design. Draw on paper, but rather find the appropriate program and simulate the result in it. Will he look? Will he be comfortable? Does he fall off next year?
And if you can do everything right, you can enjoy your kitchen for many years. And besides, the process of choosing, combining and planning is simply interesting - so why don't you try?